Monday, March 29, 2010

Carryin' Da Banner!


To all you Jews out there, Happy Passover!
I did this piece in my small white sketchbook sometime last week. I collaged newspaper right onto the page, then sketched out the newsie. I inked it right onto the paper, used white colored pencil on his shirt and socks, and erased the newsprint out of the drawing so it would stand out more. I'm really pleased with it.
Edward Gorey has been having a heavy influence in the style of my inking lately. I'm using more delicate, intricate patterning and some darker, more victorian themes which you may see more of. He's one of my favorite illustrators.
Also the musical Newsies really affected this piece. Ever since I first saw it, the songs have been stuck in my head. I love the atmosphere around the Newsies.

"Jack Kelly: Extry, extry, read all about it! Ellis Island in flames! 
David Jacobs: Hey, where's that story? 
Jack Kelly: Page nine. Thousands Flee in Panic! 
David Jacobs: "Trash Fire Next To Immigration Building Terrifies Seagulls"? 
Jack Kelly: Terrified Flight from Inferno! "

No comments:

Post a Comment